Monday, April 7, 2008

Pensieve...

There is this tiny part of me that wants to take on the world. I want to get my phD and become a professor, I want to right a book and be on the history channel. I want to see the whole world, I want to live in Chicago, I want to be the curator of the Field Museum, there are so many things. And that part of me doesn't care that much about getting married and even less about having kids, maybe when I'm in my 40s I'll settle down...
Then there's this other tiny part of me thats insanely maternal and wants a husband and 4 kids in the next 10 years, to live in suburbia, and spend my days shuttling kids to practices and cooking dinner... Soooo 1950s...
Most of me is somewhere in the middle, thank goodness, and wants a successful career doing something I love, a husband by maybe 27, and kids in my early 30s. That part of me is way more normal, yet that part of me misses out on a lot too when you add it up. 
I feel like women today are really conflicted, or at least I am. Nowadays little girls are brought up to know that we can do anything we want, anything is within our grasp, and I completely agree. Little girls can be whatever they want to be, we are just as good as men, maybe better as some things, maybe worse at others, but I think that depends  more on the person than on the sex. But I think little girls should be taught that they can have it all. The problem is that you have half the adults in your life telling you to go for the career and the life experiences and the other half asking when you're going to settle down. 
I was just thinking about this and writing things down helps me get them out of my head. It's like Pensieve. And with 5 tests this week, I need to empty my head of all unnecessary contemplations...
By the way I have a list of like 4 outrageously peppy and witty blog ideas so don't worry, the next ones will be a tad more interesting...

1 comments:

ashley April 7, 2008 at 8:57 PM  

i wish i could say i've had the burning desire to be a great career woman! all i've ever wanted is to grow up, get married, and have babies. although i will say i've surprised myself with how long i've held out for them! :) there's something intimidating about never being able to go back.... enjoy your time being carefree and able to do whatever you want! :)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love pretty pictures and fashion, decorating and paper. I use Harry Potter pseudonyms for all of my friends because as of now they are skeptical of the blogging world. I expect when we grow and up and move away and have babies we will all have blogs because that seems to be the thing to do. And when that day comes I will laugh and gleefully answer all their questions about blogger, thankful that they can finally share in the obsession with me! And secretly, I will be very proud that my archives stretch back much farther then theirs. Pennies From Heaven is where I write everything. I put my favorite photographs there, my favorite fashions, thoughts, stories, and humorous conversations between Hermione and I.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP