Sunday, April 5, 2009

Proust Questionnaire

Marcel Proust, a French novelist with a lot of time on his hands, developed this list of questions and he claimed that an individual's answers reveals his or hers true nature. It's kind of like a grown up myspace quiz, with less emphasis on what underwear you're wearing. Apparently since sometime in the 1970s Vanity Fair has devoted their back page to this questionnaire, having a different notable personages fill in their answers each issue. I highly recommend reading some of them, Julie Andrews' answers are my personal favorite. The Vanity Fair version is somewhat simplified, but I thought they might be fun to answer none the less. I think maybe I'll fill in the actual Proust version at some later date when I have the motivation for that kind of deep thinking. AKA not a Sunday. 


1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Sitting on the front porch with my husband when we're 70 years old with our children and grandchildren.
2. What is your greatest fear?
I haven't the faintest idea. 
3. What is your most marked characteristic?
I would imagine the first thing people notice about me is that I am short and tiny and look very young, and secondly that I have very blue eyes. If we are talking personality I think perhaps that I have a fairly rosy outlook. 
4. What is the trait you most deplore in your self?
I'm super impressionable. If I respect you and you disagree with me I will take a really hard look at what I think and quite often change it. 
5. Which living person do you most despise?
The congregation of that church that protests soldiers funerals and gay weddings. What terrible people. 
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
I need to be around pretty things. They can be cheap, but I just can't deal with ugly things. This may be what feeds my DIY obsession. 
7. What is your current state of mind?
Surprised, perplexed, happy, and confused. 
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Going off of my man B Franklin's virtues, silence. It's just silly. Talk as much as you want. 
9. On what occasion do you lie?
In instances where it's benefitting me and not hurting others align. 
10. What do you dislike most about your appearance?
I would kill for long legs. Absolutely kill. Watch out Cameron Diaz...
11. What is the quality you most like in a man?
A strong sense of what is right and a strong urge to protect the women in his life. 
12. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
A strong sense of what is right and a strong urge to love. 
Perhaps these sound sexist but oh well. 
13. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I don't care, what do you want to do?
14. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
I think I need to live more life to know for sure. I suppose Wicket. He's furry and loving and protective, everything I want in a man. 
15. When and where were you happiest?
I am happy most of the time. But the most recent perfect moment would be at Lake Michigan over SB 09 with the BF. We were both in really silly moods and it was just one of those days where I felt exactly like myself and it's wonderful when you're exactly you and someone appreciates it and lets you. 
16. If you could change one thing abut yourself what would it be?
I would remember things. 
17. Which talent would you most like to have?
I wish I was a speed reader than instantly soaked up everything I read. 
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I taught Wicket to sit. If you met him you would understand. 
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
A tulip. That way I'd come back every year to see spring and then sleep for the next 9 months. 
20. Where would you like to live?
A city. I so want to live in a city. 
21. What is your most treasured possession?
My ring that I bought for myself in Prague. It represents the achievement of my greatest goal. 
22. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Turning your back on God. 
23. What is your favorite occupation?
Reading or working on a craft. 
24. What is your favorite hero of fiction?
Aslan
25. What are your favorite names?
Lorelie and Cole
26. What is it that you most dislike?
Bad manners. 
27. How would you like to die?
In my sleep with my husband. 
28. What is your motto?
Don't worry, what is supposed to happen will happen. 

*I filled in the Julie Andrews questionnaire. I didn't realize that they use different questions for each person and that the main questions can be found elsewhere on the site until after I had typed hers in, and I didn't want to do it again. 

1 comments:

ashley April 6, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

at first i thought i'd copy and answer these questions on my blog - but then i read your post and it definitely seemed like lots of deep thinking...and after spending my days with a 8 week old...my brain doesn't do deep thinking. but i loved your answers :)

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love pretty pictures and fashion, decorating and paper. I use Harry Potter pseudonyms for all of my friends because as of now they are skeptical of the blogging world. I expect when we grow and up and move away and have babies we will all have blogs because that seems to be the thing to do. And when that day comes I will laugh and gleefully answer all their questions about blogger, thankful that they can finally share in the obsession with me! And secretly, I will be very proud that my archives stretch back much farther then theirs. Pennies From Heaven is where I write everything. I put my favorite photographs there, my favorite fashions, thoughts, stories, and humorous conversations between Hermione and I.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP