Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Terribly Terrible Day

So my boss hates me. No, scratch that, I'm pretty sure that my boss likes me, which is good, because she's awesome. My boss's boss hates me, which is obviously, not good. During my summers I'm a day-camp counselor and I love it, last year I had my little 5 and 6 year olds and they are just so great and full of love and I just love my job, it's really hard, but I love it and it is so rewarding (not in the form of a paycheck bc Walgreens cashiers probably make more than I do, but it's rewarding in the form of receiving lots of hugs and hearing lots of "I love you Twinkles!"). So we've been going through camp training the last 2 weeks and I was getting pretty pumped for camp. Well, our boss's boss came in today to give us a little speech and to pass out our schedules. So here's the thing, you aren't guaranteed a tribe (a group of kids) every week, sometimes you have to open and close and some weeks you just work the field trip on Thursday. However, returning counselors are guaranteed the group they want and since we're experienced we generally get to work almost every week and have a tribe. Well for every other returning counselor that happened, but for not me. Well here's my schedule: Week 1 and 2 Open and Close (which is really bad bc I live 20 min from camp so that means driving there twice each day for two weeks, unless I strike oil in my back yard this is not doable), Weeks 3, 4, and 5 I work field trips which means for 3 weeks I only work Thursday, for the last 5 weeks I actually have a tribe and even one in my requested age group for 4 of those. But even still, I think you can see why I think the maker of the schedules (boss's boss) hates me. Now I knew last summer that she didn't really like me, which surprised me. I mean this sounds bad, but I'm just not the kind of person people dislike. People usually like me, and if they don't they're indifferent and just don't care, and even then they think I'm nice. I am a nice person- I'm super polite, I do whatever I'm asked, I'm opinionated but also super open-minded, I do my best to not judge, I just don't get it. I'm not controversial enough to really have a vendetta against. Plus, my name is Char. That just doesn't sound like someone you'd dislike. "I hate that Char girl" just doesn't sound right. Maybe "Katie" or "Jamie" or "Paris Hilton", but not Char. Anyway, I thought maybe she didn't like me last year because of my military dictator counselor style. I'm quite strict. But I had to be! I had the worst K-1 group in the camp! You might say, "Come on Char, bad kindergartners? What did they do- color outside of the lines?" And to this I would reply, "No, they were very careful to color inside the lines. However, they did enjoy peeing in squirt guns, pulling out dental work, making me sniff out their poop when no one would admit who pooped their pants, and sitting down in the middle of the woods and refusing to proceed unless I would allow them to go frogging. Oh and I had a 4 year old who swore." So, the military approach was necessary, and they still loved me. I can honestly say that I was a good counselor, and that my kids had a good time and left camp with great memories and a lot of tears. And I was always so polite to my boss's boss and I just don't understand. The brand new counselors have more hours than I do. Obviously I need to quit. It's just not logical to continue. But I looove my job! And I looove the other counselors! And I just made new girlfriends, and due to my gossipy high school friends I'm really bad at making friends with girls, but I did it this time, twice! And if I quit I'm sure I won't ever see them again. I'm just so bummed. This is not how I wanted summer to go. Why does she hate me?????

1 comments:

Anonymous June 4, 2008 at 5:47 AM  

K easy way to fix your problem. Set a trap for one of the other counselors that you don't like so your boss's boss catches them and hates them more than you. Or quit your job and become a traveling circus clown. Either way

VP

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love pretty pictures and fashion, decorating and paper. I use Harry Potter pseudonyms for all of my friends because as of now they are skeptical of the blogging world. I expect when we grow and up and move away and have babies we will all have blogs because that seems to be the thing to do. And when that day comes I will laugh and gleefully answer all their questions about blogger, thankful that they can finally share in the obsession with me! And secretly, I will be very proud that my archives stretch back much farther then theirs. Pennies From Heaven is where I write everything. I put my favorite photographs there, my favorite fashions, thoughts, stories, and humorous conversations between Hermione and I.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP