Wednesday, May 6, 2009

How Lovely to be a Woman

Ok, I'm a fairly open minded chick. God told me not to judge, so I try my darndest not to. It's not my job to say what's right and what's wrong, it's my job to love my neighbor.


I'm taking Sexuality and Gender in Society this semester, for most people it's out of their comfort zone, not so much for me. There is one girl in there who is transexual. She came to school for the last two years as a guy and started out this past year as a female. Whatev, as the sister would say, "Do what ya feel." I can't say I understand it, but if I did I'd be dressing as a guy right now. It doesn't really bother me though, it'd not my place to judge by any means. 

However.

When we discuss women's issues, (sexism, rape, etc) she drives me nuts. She's a "sigher". You know the ones, every time they hear something they personally identify with they "mmhmm" or "yup" under their breath while shaking their head. These people annoy me under good circumstances. But if you have only been a "woman" for 6 months excuse me if it annoys me when we talk about growing up being scared of rape and you "mmhmm". Excuse me if it annoys me when we talk about periods and you "yup". And excuse me if it annoys me when we talk about dealing with sexism and infertility and you shake your head in agreement. Here's the thing. 
You don't know. 
You don't know what it's like. You weren't raised being warned of rape, you've never had a period and you never will, and Lord knows you will never worry about infertility. Maybe one day you will experience sexism but as of now you do not get it. So drop it. 

This has been bubbling... 

1 comments:

gina May 7, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

Good for you! Total agreemenmt! By the way, absolutely love that music! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love pretty pictures and fashion, decorating and paper. I use Harry Potter pseudonyms for all of my friends because as of now they are skeptical of the blogging world. I expect when we grow and up and move away and have babies we will all have blogs because that seems to be the thing to do. And when that day comes I will laugh and gleefully answer all their questions about blogger, thankful that they can finally share in the obsession with me! And secretly, I will be very proud that my archives stretch back much farther then theirs. Pennies From Heaven is where I write everything. I put my favorite photographs there, my favorite fashions, thoughts, stories, and humorous conversations between Hermione and I.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP