Thursday, September 4, 2008

Numbers... Eek!

So I wrote this blog a loooong time ago and I found it tonight and couldn't figure out why I'd never posted it (probably because of my embarrassing mathematical showing...) but I really liked it. Sometimes I like to reread stuff I've written a long time ago because then I'm disconnected with it and it's like someone else wrote it... Anyway, I digress. So I am amazed by the number of people in this world. My inadequate math mind is boggled by it. But what I think is stranger is that out of all the people that I've met so far in my 21 years there have been so few that have been right for me (I'm talking opposite sex now). Ok, for example, I have maybe 9 close girlfriends that have boyfriends, I make 10. Out of the 10 of our boyfriends there is only one that would ever make me happy and he's already mine. Those other 9 would have no chance (however this may be a reflection of how picky I am). So, statistically speaking (which I probably shouldn't be doing as my mind refused to learn much math past 9th grade)), 1 in 10 boys are right for me, so 10%. But wait- what about high school? Ok I went to high school with roughly 200 people at any given point in time. Out of those 200, only 3 ever made it to relationship status, only 2 ever made me happy with them, and only one succeeded in doing so for more than 3 months (although ultimately he failed as well). But I'll include them for math's sake. Thats 3 in 200. That's 1.5%. And what about college, there's about 1100 students here I think? And only 1 has been right for me > 0.09%. These odds are not good. So if we combine them we get .3%. This does not bode well for me, and that's including the failed relationships! If I don't include them I only get .07%. Now I don't know where I'm going with these statistics, probably straight to math jail if Hermione ever sees this... She's a rarity, she could have gotten these numbers in 3 minutes in her mind instead of me taking 15 minutes and using a calculator... But I digress... I guess I am just really lucky to have found someone who does make me so happy. I think my point is, that with all the love in the world, it seems obvious to me that there must be something helping us. People actually meet who they are supposed to meet, they muck through the millions of others they meet in their lifetime and they find those few who make them happy, and I think that makes the whole story more amazing. People meet their soul mates, and whether they are 14, 25, 47, or 78 when it happens doesn't matter. You just have to trust that it will come and enjoy the ride there because it's going to happen, it just is, and that should make the ride even better. It's like when you're little and it's November and the first hint of Christmas has crossed your mind. That month of waiting is just as good as Christmas day, writing out your Christmas list, decorating the tree, playing in the snow, its all perfect and part of the reason it is is because you have the dream of what it's going to be like. 

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love pretty pictures and fashion, decorating and paper. I use Harry Potter pseudonyms for all of my friends because as of now they are skeptical of the blogging world. I expect when we grow and up and move away and have babies we will all have blogs because that seems to be the thing to do. And when that day comes I will laugh and gleefully answer all their questions about blogger, thankful that they can finally share in the obsession with me! And secretly, I will be very proud that my archives stretch back much farther then theirs. Pennies From Heaven is where I write everything. I put my favorite photographs there, my favorite fashions, thoughts, stories, and humorous conversations between Hermione and I.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP