Sunday, February 28, 2010

Char's cooking... Get out of the kitchen!!

I'm not a great cook. It's not that I don't want to cook, I just manage to mess it up most of the time. Well I've decided that PBJ for lunch every day in the teacher's lounge is not that great of an idea so I decided to pull a grown-up move and make a casserole that I can split up and bring to school everyday for lunch. So far so good, but it hasn't come out of the oven yet so it has some time to mess up...

I'm feeling much more optimistic today. Yesterday was an emotional roller coaster. My poor cousin Steve was best friends with Josh and he took it so hard. It so weird to see my oldest cousin so sad and just so broken. I'm still having conflicting feelings about the war. I know we're doing good things over there, I know that we are helping, but there's got to be a better way right?

The only good thing about yesterday was getting a chance to see my town in action. The whole gym was full, standing room only. So many fantastic people were there. Mitch Daniels sent a representative, probably good he didn't come himself, we don't like him so much in the region... Although I have to say, Arnold Schwarzenegger issued a press release about Josh and Daniels sent someone else to give a generic speech. Lovely. Joe Donnelly came and made a very nice speech about his time in Afghanistan just two weeks ago. But the most astounding part was the drive from the high school to Pinhook where Josh was going to buried. Pinhook is a beautiful little white church on 2 with a graveyard covered in tall trees and cobble walkways. The police had shut down 2 and 421, both major highways. As we all slowly drove the four miles to Pinhook people working at the business along the way lined the road with yellow ribbons and American flags. Everyone was out of their homes and joining the line of people with their own flags and ribbons. Our fire department had gotten ahold of a giant American flag and had it hoisted on the truck and had it waving over the road. As we drove under it you could see all of the firemen joining the line, all staring at the flag with their helmets held across their hearts. Two bars, one restaurant, and my church opened their doors after the funeral. Tri-Kappas from all over the area had donated food so people could go from place to place eating for free and just being together. It was a truly moving experience, and one that you would only get in a small town. I've honestly never felt more proud to be from Westville.

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love pretty pictures and fashion, decorating and paper. I use Harry Potter pseudonyms for all of my friends because as of now they are skeptical of the blogging world. I expect when we grow and up and move away and have babies we will all have blogs because that seems to be the thing to do. And when that day comes I will laugh and gleefully answer all their questions about blogger, thankful that they can finally share in the obsession with me! And secretly, I will be very proud that my archives stretch back much farther then theirs. Pennies From Heaven is where I write everything. I put my favorite photographs there, my favorite fashions, thoughts, stories, and humorous conversations between Hermione and I.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP